2013 is the 14th year of our WOMEN'S CONCERT SERIES. These cozy house concerts are FREE to guests.
The Inn's intimate setting provides a perfect venue for these artists. Concerts are Saturday beginning at 8:00 p.m., unless otherwise indicated. The series includes concerts throughout the year.
JANUARY-MARCH 2013 CONCERTS
Please check this page throughout the year for updates. We'll be adding concerts during the year, and there may be some schedule changes, so check often!
Add Me to Your Email List!
If you'd like to receive email notices of future events and specials, click this button to send us your email address.
In an effort to curb "spam", several internet service providers have set up procedures that may prevent you from receiving some emails. If you ever think that your ISP may be blocking our emails, please phone us at
1-877-LES-B-INN (537-2466). Thanks!
2013 Concert Schedule
JANUARY-MARCH CONCERTS - FREE!
- SONiA, January 12, 2013: SONiA's powerful honesty touches people of varied social and ethnic backgrounds. She tours the USA, Europe, Israel, Australia, New Zealand and Canada cultivating fans everywhere she goes. She has 16 award winning CDs, that include the GLAAD award for album of the year & Female Artist of the Year for the GLAMAS, OUTMusic Awards for OUTStanding International Song & OUTStanding Single. Other honors include Best in Blues Finalist for IMA Awards, and Finalist for the Telluride Song Competition. SONiA is a proud member of the Recording Academy of America that presents the Grammy Awards. Her talent as a guitar played led the Santa Cruz Guitar Company to create a "SONiA" model which has been sold in the US, Germany and Australia. Currently, SONiA is working on what will be her 17th Album to be released in 2013. www.disappearfear.com
- Bethel Steele, February 16: Bethel
Steele is a folky singer-songwriter from Boston, MA whose music is characterized
by a smoky alto and a playing style that ranges from driving rhythm guitar to
delicate finger picking. Bethel's songs find the intrinsic beauty in the
adventures in everyday life as well as the whiskey-soaked one night stands, the
stories of thrill-seekers and the unrelenting passage of time. Bethel has
released two CDs, "Come Home" (2009) and a June 2012 release, "Of Love and
Whiskey." This will be Bethel's fourth appearance at the
- Emmy Cerra, February 23: One of the most versatile performers in Boston, Emmy Cerra is a singer/songwriter who can rock a stage. Whether she is playing with a full band or alone, her performances transcend expectations of this genre. Emmy's performance and songwriting are her trademarks. If you want lyrical music that rocks, you found it. www.emmycerra.com
- Antara, March 16: Whether busy conjuring variations of rhythm folk poetry in song lyrics or exploring the percussive-like dynamics of her trademark guitar riffs, independent folk songstress Antara continues to establish herself as a 'new' folk artist who is expanding the forefront of women’s music and the independent folk movement. Having performed professionally for a dozen years in more than 500 venues throughout New England, Canada, the Midwest and the South, Antara’s unique fusion of rhythmic folk music and interactive coffee house performance capitalizes on a consistent sharing of the sociological perspective that shapes her life, love and work. www.littleweirdgirl.com www.myspace.com/antaralittleweirdgirl
- Lynn Deeves, March 30: Maine singer-songwriter and Highlands Inn regular, Lynn Deeves honed her musical/performance chops as a “chick-singah” on the New England top-40, rock circuit in the 1980’s-1990’s. She has since released 4 independent CD’s and shared stages with Cheryl Wheeler, Janis Ian, Ferron, Chris Williamson, Tret Fure, Catie Curtis, Suede, disappear fear and many others. A multi-instrumentalist (guitar, harmonica, percussion, flute), Deeves’ original music merges folk, rock, blues and gospel influences with uplifting and insightful lyrics. Her quick wit and soulful vocals are trademarks of her live performance. Portland (Maine) Press Herald says “...five star stage presence...this gal's got as set of pipes...” www.lynndeeves.com
APRIL-JUNE CONCERTS - FREE!
- Lauren Bateman, April 6: As a childhood cancer survivor, Lauren Bateman knows the importance of living in the moment. That is why at the age of 27, Lauren quit her job as a research scientist to pursue a career in music. Her most recent release, Here I Am, shows that she made the right decision. Drawing from influences like Melissa Etheridge, Pat Benatar, Sheryl Crow and Brandi Carlile, Lauren blends her singer/songwriter roots with edgy guitar riffs and a big drum sound to direct the emotional flow of the album. The soft then hard Rose Full Of Thorns explores the passions of love that have gone sour while the spirited title track, Here I Am, is a dedication to all those sitting around waiting for love to come knocking at their doors. Lauren released "Here I Am" November 2011 and is now working on an accoustic album. www.laurenbateman.com
- Rebecca Katz, April 20: Rebecca
Katz’s favorite four-letter word is “folk.” Proud to be a songwriter
contributing new material, like her hero, Nanci Griffith, she is also devoted to
passing on traditional songs and favorites by fellow writers. Equipped with a
clear, confident voice, Rebecca can as easily evoke laughter from her audiences
as improvised harmony. Equal parts songwriter and storyteller, she is all-heart
all-the-time, and brings her special touch to every room she plays. Rebecca has
played scores of shows in her native Boston, has toured the East Coast from
Maine to Washington, D.C., and has also performed in Toronto,
- Lizzy Pitch, April 27: In support of her latest release “Darling Starling” Lizzy Pitch has taken the US by storm through live performances and personal appearances leaving a wake of enthusiastic mania. The new full length album is filled with radio seducing soundscapes that traverse the landscape of human emotion. From love-struck to playful, struggle to hope, Lizzy’s high energy symphonic-indietronic rock leaves you gasping for more.
In 2007 Lizzy’s debut album ‘Drawing Triangles’ won Ithaca, NY’s Jimmy Award for best female vocal performance and also received an honorable mention as best solo album of the year. Lizzy’s critically acclaimed second album ‘Lunatic Fringe’ features more studio production, Lizzy’s first recordings on the piano and guest musicians from all over the US. Opening for the Boston Pops introduced Lizzy to the enchanting world of professional music at the age of twelve. She went on to study jazz and classical composition before heading to Ithaca, New York where she evolved into a full-time artist. She tours constantly throughout the entire US.
- Alix Dobkin, May 4: Alix Dobkin is known as a feminist legend with roots in the folk music scene of the 1960's. She wrote this about her background: "Over the last 25 years I have traveled to hundreds of women's communities in this country and many others. It has been my privilege and pleasure to gather elements of our common culture and to create a body of stories, songs, observations, and opinions, to share with you. They honor and reflect our unique feminist style, substance, issues and values. In addition to seven recordings, I have one songbook, many years worth of columns and articles, a shelf full of awards to my name; and was voted "All Time Favorite Performer" by Hot Wire magazine, and have been known to some as "Head Lesbian!" Spin magazine called me a "womyn's music legend" and the FBI reported that I was a 'trouble maker'." www.alixdobkin.com
- Carrie Ashton, May 11: Carrie Ashton has been performing music all over New England since the age of thirteen. Inspired by such artists as Melissa Etheridge, Carrie takes people on an incredible musical journey while she performs for a wide variety of audiences. Playing solo with her acoustic guitar, she has the ability to move the crowd with her charisma and high energy shows. She has jammed out with her band on stage with such icons as Natalie Merchant, the Gogo’s and REO Speedwagon. She has teamed up with Grammy winning producers/engineers to produce two successful CDs, Modern Day Gypsy (2003) and truth is (2007), and is currently working on a much anticipated new release. www.broadjam.com/carrieashton
- 3girlZband, June 1: 3girlZband is a trio of musicians who
were destined to create music together. Combined, the Girlz have been playing
for a lifetime and craft their tunes with combinations of electric and acoustic
guitar, keyboards, drums and percussion. 3girlZband original and cover tunes
range from classic rock to acoustic ballads and often linger for a time at
genres in between. They feature many combinations of instruments and vocals that
bring a unique sound no matter the song. For more information about the Girlz
and their music, visit their website at www.3girlzband.com.
- Elizabeth Lorrey, June 8: Elizabeth Lorrey crafts a dark blend of edgy, intense acoustic rock. At once deeply personal and painfully universal, Lorrey’s lyrics will stay with you long after the last note fades away. And while her polished, professional recordings are mesmerizing, her live shows have made her a local favorite with a growing fan base in the northeast. Pushing “solo artist” to the extreme, Lorrey wrote, produced, engineered and performed nearly every note on her first full-length CD, Awakening. It is a profoundly intimate collection of songs that explores beginnings and endings and the points in between. Lorrey performs regularly throughout New England, in venues large and small, with occasional forays to North Carolina, Michigan, and the Southwestern U.S. Her newest release, Bittersweet, contains her strongest work yet. Look for it in December of 2012. www.elizabethlorrey.com
- Jenica Rayne & Lynne Hanson, June 15: Jenica Rayne is a passionate songwriter, accomplished guitarist and seasoned performer. She is a story teller who draws her audience in with lyric driven songs that speak from the heart. She has released three critically acclaimed CD's Hall of Memories (1999), Essential Elements(2005) and Live Rayne (2007). Jenica is a graduate of Vancouver Island University's jazz music program and regularly tours across the country both as a solo artist and with her bands 'The Jenica Rayne Trio' and 'Calamity Janes'. Her live performance runs the emotional gamut, from the rueful, upbeat silliness of Call It What You Like, to the haunting spareness of Blues Skies Dreaming. Her band of talented players compliment her musical style, which is at once poetic and resonant.www.jenicarayne.com
- Lynne Hanson is a singer/songwriter who plays both bass and guitar with the Janes. Her songwriting is soulful and moving, with delicate melodies and compelling turns of phrase, and her voice is reminiscent of Norah Jones and Alison Krauss, pure and unaffected. Lynne’s debut CD The Garden has been aired on CBC, and was named one of 2007’s top albums by Fresh Air’s host, Jeff Goodes. Her second CD, All the Time” (2008), has received nationwide airplay on CBC, including a feature on “Canada Reads.”
- Emily Nyman & Lynn Berry, June 22: Emily has appeared on the CBS/WCAX TV Morning Music Showcase on several occasions. Her recordings have been aired on Vermont public radio, WOMR Provincetown, Rainbow World Radio, and Sirius Radio. Emily and Lynn’s music has also been aired extensively on the Internet, earning top 40 status on Rainbow World Radio for June and July 2005. Emily was a finalist for favorite female musician in the Pride in the Arts Award (Stonewall Society). In January 2007, Emily and Lynn were interviewed on Pat Marino’s Sunset Cruise show which often receives requests for their music (Sirius Radio 109Q). Emily performed at Equality Forum’s Teen Panel presentation in Philadelphia in May 2007. In April 2008, Emily and her band appeared on the WCAX/CBS Late Night Saturday show hosted by Tim Kavanaugh. Emily and Lynn have received recognition for “Give Me a Dream” and “ShadowTime” from the Eventide Arts Songfest 2008. They were featured in Boston Spirit magazine’s November/December 2008 issue. cdbaby.com/cd/nyman cdbaby.com/cd/nyman2 cdbaby.com/cd/nyman3
JANUARY-MARCH 2013 CONCERTS